Want to be better at PR? Then you need to develop the traits shared by the PR pros who kick ass. I’m talking about the PR guys and gals who have all the right connections, know how to pitch a winning story, and always seem to be getting media coverage.
So, what are the major characteristics the best PR pros possess?
- Excellent communication skills—As a PR person, communication is involved in everything you do. Whether you’re pitching the media, dealing with a client, or writing a press release, everything you do is about communicating. The best PR pros are excellent at both written and verbal communication.
- Knack for storytelling—If you can’t tell a great story, you’re going to have a hard time in the PR biz. You need to have a knack for finding interesting stories and knowing how to present them in the most compelling way possible.
- Master relationship builder—It’s all about who you know. Just having a contact list of a bunch of reporters isn’t enough. You have to build relationships and know how to add value to your network.
- Dependability—The kick ass PR pro always meets deadlines. If you want reporters to use you as a trusted source, you must deliver on your promises and be dependable.
- Technical competency—The best PR pros are comfortable with the latest technology, especially social media. You don’t need to be some technical whiz kid, but you do need to learn and be competent.
- Ability to multitask—As a PR pro, you’re constantly juggling a million different things at once. You have different deadlines to meet, pitches to send out, clients to manage, etc. You must be able to multitask successfully.
- Always at the ready—You never know when reporters are going to reach out to you, when a story opportunity will pop up, or even when a crisis will rear its ugly head. Kick ass PR pros are always at the ready and can adapt quickly to any situation.
- Self-awareness—A lot of your success as a PR pro relies on your ability to build great relationships. And building great relationships involves being self-aware. For instance, you need to know when you’re about to cross the line and annoying the crap out of a reporter so you can reel yourself in and not damage the relationship.
- Commitment to ethics—Always be truthful. This can be a tough industry, but if you maintain your ethics, that absolutely counts for a lot.
- Patience—Many times, PR is a waiting game. You’re waiting to hear back from a reporter, or you’re just waiting to see how your campaign works over the long haul. Patience is essential in this business.
What are some other traits kick ass PR pros possess? Share your thoughts by commenting below.
This article is written by Mickie Kennedy, founder of eReleases (http://www.ereleases.com), the online leader in affordable press release distribution. Download a free copy of the PR Checklist – a 24 point list of Press Release Dos and Don’ts here: http://www.ereleases.com/prchecklist.html