REDONDO BEACH, Calif., July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Women At Woodstock, a series of women’s retreats for women 50 and over (or so) is coming to Berkeley this July. After last year’s successful inaugural event in Woodstock, New York, two retreats are scheduled for 2013: July 28-31 in Berkeley, and October 6-9 in Woodstock, New York.
The retreats create an environment of support and a pool of resources for Boomer women entering the “second stage of life” so they can choose consciously what they want to do going forward. Says founder Ann Voorhees Baker, “Fifty is the new eighteen; it’s a time to declare your new major in life.”
These iconic women from the Boomer generation are among those speaking and leading workshops at this year’s retreats:
Suzanne Braun Levine - the first editor of Ms. Magazine and author of several books on women in the post-50 stage of life
Gloria Loring - known to many as Liz Chandler on “Days of Our Lives”
Barbara Hannah Grufferman - star of the online television series hosted by AARP, ”The Best of Everything”
Victoria Zackheim – novelist (The Bone Weaver), and editor of five anthologies including the bestselling The Other Woman
Gwen Gordon - An expert on and advocate for play in adult life; and former designer and builder of Sesame Street Muppets
Angela Mason - Director of Development for Women’s Earth Alliance and former advocate for women and children at World Vision
Alice Barden - actress and playwright/performer of “Alice and Elizabeth’s One-Woman Show”
Sherry Amatenstein - author of The Complete Marriage Counselor and an interviewer for Steven Spielberg’s Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation
Luanne Mullin – co-chair and national liaison for The Transition Network
Mary Eileen Williams – host of the popular radio show, “Feisty Side of Fifty”
Registration is open to any interested woman age 50 or so and above and may be done online at http://womenatwoodstock.com/register/. Each retreat is limited to 100 women to maintain an intimate atmosphere in which participants can meet and get to know the presenters.
- Women At Woodstock’s inaugural event in 2012 was notable because it:
- Was promoted solely through word of mouth and social media
- Attracted 50 women from all over the US and Canada
- Featured notable speakers including Suzanne Braun Levine, original editor of Ms. Magazine; Amy Ferris, playwright & author of Marrying George Clooney; and Hannah B. Grufferman, author of The Best of Everything After 50
- Created bonds that continue to this day; many alumnae regularly email, call, and meet with one another; several now do business together; and some have even vacationed together
This video from last year’s event shows an entertaining slice of Women At Woodstock: http://womenatwoodstock.com. For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact Ann Voorhees Baker, Email, 213-785-8835.