La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre surgeons say plastic surgery is not just about looking better
SAN DIEGO, July 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Although many plastic surgery procedures are strictly cosmetic, others go above and beyond aesthetic issues. The board certified plastic surgeons of La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre say that certain procedures can also eliminate painful or troublesome physical problems and alleviate associated emotional anguish.
Such procedures include breast reduction, which reduces the size of large, heavy breasts; eyelid lift surgery, which can improve vision by removing excess skin; gynecomastia, which reduces enlarged male breasts; rhinoplasty, which can repair defects or injuries to the nose and restore normal breathing; and vaginal rejuvenation, which tightens the muscles and tissues of the vagina. Some of the following procedures are also among the most popular plastic surgeries in the United States:
- Breast reduction surgery. Excessively large female breasts can cause a variety of physical problems, including chronic back, neck, and shoulder pain; impaired breathing; poor posture; skin chafing or irritation; and skin indentations from bra straps. In addition to physical pain, many women also develop emotional discomfort and self-esteem issues from having excessively large breasts.
- Eyelid lift surgery. Sagging skin in the upper eyelid is called dermatochalasis. For some patients it is a cosmetic concern, but functional dermatochalasis also affects the visual field, interfering with normal vision. Blepharoplasty, or eyelid lift surgery, helps patients when their vision has been impacted by extra skin that adds weight and causes the eyelids to droop.
- Gynecomastia treatment. Enlarged male breasts can affect adolescent boys and adult men, often creating embarrassment and a negative self-image. Gynecomastia may be the result of excess fat, excess glandular tissue, and or combination of both. Treatment for gynecomastia creates a more masculine contour; the surgery can include liposuction or surgical excision, depending on the cause of the enlarged breasts.
- Rhinoplasty procedures. While rhinoplasty (nose reshaping) is often a cosmetic procedure, it is also commonly used to correct defects or repair injuries to the nose. Septoplasty is a different procedure that addresses issues with obstruction of the nasal passages; often rhinoplasty and septoplasty are performed in combination.
- Vaginal rejuvenation surgeries. Many women suffer trauma during childbirth that stretches the muscles and tissues of the vagina, affecting their enjoyment of sex. A vaginoplasty addresses these issues and helps restore normal intimacy, with a return to satisfactory and pain-free intercourse. Labiaplasty reduces or reshapes the labia, which can become enlarged, causing discomfort or embarrassment as well as having a negative impact on intimate relations.
Plastic surgery had its origins in the reconstruction of the body, repairing defects or injuries and restoring normal function. The aesthetic applications of the specialty were developed later, but its historical purpose is still vitally important today as physical and emotional conditions are improved through the appropriate plastic surgery procedures.
About La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre: LJCSC is located in the Scripps/XIMED Medical Building on the Scripps Memorial Hospital Campus, at 9850 Genessee Avenue, Suite 130, in La Jolla, CA. Reach them by phone at 858-452-1981.
Media Contact: Marie Olesen, La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre (http://www.ljcsc.com) or 858-452-1981.