Wrinkles are inevitable, but their occurrence and severity can be reduced through proactive measures, says Lauren Amico, PA-C, MMS
SAN DIEGO, March 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Although wrinkles are associated with aging, that’s not necessarily their primary cause. Knowing more about wrinkles, including why wrinkles form, can help one to reduce their incidence and lessen their appearance. Lauren Amico, PA-C, MMS, aesthetic specialist at La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre, shares five facts about wrinkles everyone should know:
- There are two types of wrinkles caused by different factors. Dynamic or active wrinkles are those that are created from muscular movements, such as frowning or furrowing the brow. Static wrinkles are seen when the face is at rest and are caused by aging, environmental exposure, or lifestyle factors; dynamic wrinkles become static wrinkles over time. These wrinkles form when collagen is lost and the skin’s elastin structure is compromised.
- Sun damage is the main catalyst for premature aging of the skin and is an easily preventable cause of wrinkles. Sun damage can be avoided simply by using an effective sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Sun damage also causes changes in the pigmentation of the skin and can lead to skin cancer.
- Smoking is another cause of wrinkles and skin damage. Nicotine deprives the dermis of oxygen, causing it to deteriorate. Cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals that also damage elastin and collagen, the proteins that make the skin elastic and strong. The act of smoking also creates dynamic wrinkles. Quitting smoking will prevent further damage, and topical skin products containing antioxidants, retinol, or vitamin C and E can help repair the skin.
- Poor diet is another factor that contributes to the appearance of wrinkles. Excessive sugar contributes to glycation, a process that causes protein fibers (including collagen and elastin) to become stiff. This contributes to wrinkle formation. Avoiding sugary foods and adding foods high in vitamin C, vitamin E, and antioxidants will improve skin texture.
- Stress is another contributing factor in the formation of wrinkles. Prolonged stress can lead to dynamic wrinkles formed by repeated facial expressions such as scowling, frowning, or grimacing. These wrinkles can transform into static wrinkles through repetition. Stress reduction techniques can help prevent this transformation.
While genetics also play an important part in determining whether or not wrinkles will appear, preventing wrinkles is possible by making changes such as improving diet, wearing sunscreen, lowering stress, and quitting smoking. If bothersome skin damage is already present, Amico says there are several cosmetic options to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Dermal fillers, such as JUVEDERM®, Perlane®, and Restylane® can help address the appearance of static wrinkles. BOTOX® and Dysport® are neurotoxins that immobilize or weaken the muscles that create dynamic wrinkles.
Surgical procedures such as a facelift, brow lift, or neck lift are appropriate for more extensive, deeper wrinkles. Men or women seeking to reduce the appearance of wrinkles or reverse skin damage should speak to an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best approach.
About La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre: LJCSC is located in the Scripps/XIMED Medical Building on the Scripps Memorial Hospital Campus, at 9850 Genessee Avenue, Suite 130, in La Jolla, CA. Reach them by phone at 858-452-1981.
Media Contact: Marie Olesen, La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre (http://www.ljcsc.com) or 858-452-1981.