If you ask me, too many people view Twitter as a direct marketing tool. Don’t get me wrong, Twitter can be useful for driving traffic to your website, promoting great deals, etc. But to me, the biggest benefit Twitter has to offer is the vast amount of information you can absorb from it.
Here are just a few of the things you should be learning from Twitter.
- What the competition is up to – Twitter is great for spying on your competitors. You can use Twitter to learn about your competition’s latest innovations and offerings, their Twitter marketing strategy, what their customers are saying about them (good and bad), who they’re following and interacting with, and so much more. Check out this great post with tips for Twitter spying.
- Your customers’ likes and dislikes – By paying close attention to your followers, you can gain critical insights into your target audience. Discover the things they like and dislike. Learn how they talk and interact with one another. See what they think about your products and your competitors. The more you learn about your target audience, the more effectively you’ll be able to reach them.
- Developing trends in your industry – Track what people are talking about as it relates to your industry. Twitter is good for keeping up with all of the latest news and buzz, so it’s very helpful for making sure you stay current and on top of the trends.
- Journalists who cover your industry – A huge number of journalists are on Twitter. Try to find the ones who cover your industry, and follow them to start building that relationship.
- The public’s opinion of your brand – You should have Twitter alerts set for all brand mentions. This is essential for online reputation management as it shows you exactly what people are saying about your brand. Hope you have some thick skin!
What are some other things you can learn by using Twitter? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
This article is written by Mickie Kennedy, founder of eReleases (http://www.ereleases.com), the online leader in affordable press release distribution. Grab three free ebooks, including the Big Press Release Book and Twitter Tactics, here: http://www.ereleases.com/insider/freebooks.html