Every blogger wants lots of traffic and a strong base of readers, and one of the ways to get these things is by getting your blog posts a high number of shares on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and other channels. But getting tons of Tweets and Likes isn’t exactly easy. Just because you write a great post doesn’t mean that it’s going to go viral across the social networks. It takes a lot of work and a little bit of luck to get lots of shares on your blog posts.
Of course, you can’t control the luck part of it, but you can control everything else and do your part to put yourself in the best position to get lucky and enjoy loads of shares on your blog posts. Here are 5 tips to help you get more shares for your content.
- Know what your target audience wants—It’s important that you’re writing about the topics your target audience truly cares about. One thing you can do is to study your blog’s analytics carefully to identify patterns in which types of posts get the most traffic, comments, shares, etc. You can also ask your customers, influencers, and others in your target audience for feedback so you can learn more about what topics they’re interested in.
- Incorporate influencers in your posts—Here’s a great way to get your posts shared by the leaders in your industry – include them in your posts. If you have the opportunity to reference an industry influencer in an article, do it. You might link to one of their posts or include a quote from them in an article. Once you’ve published the post, reach out to that person and let them know about it. It flatters them, and it makes it likely that they’ll share your post with their audience.
- Share other people’s stuff—Want other people to share your stuff? You need to share their stuff first. It’s the whole “Give and you shall receive” rule. By sharing content from other bloggers and influencers in your niche, you can motivate them to return the favor. This works more often than you might think.
- Reach out personally to certain people likely to share your content—If you’ve written a post that you think would appeal specifically to a certain person you know, reach out to them to share it with them. Send them an email with a link to the post telling them why you think they’ll find it useful or interesting. Encourage them to share it with their friends and followers. Just make sure you’re not bombarding everyone you know every time you publish a post. Be smart about it.
- Thank and engage those who share—Whenever someone shares your blog posts, take a moment to thank them and to engage them in a conversation about the content. This helps you build personal relationships with sharers, making it likelier that they’ll continue to read and share your content in the future.
What are some of your best tips for getting more shares on blog posts? Share them by commenting below.
This article is written by Mickie Kennedy, founder of eReleases (http://www.ereleases.com), the online leader in affordable press release distribution. Grab three ebooks, including My Facebook Formula, a free report on Facebook and why you should be using the largest social network for your business, here: http://www.ereleases.com/insider/freebooks.html